The bloodletting has begun. Even though the Green Bay Packers don’t have to finalize their roster until Saturday afternoon, they began releasing players on Friday afternoon.
As I predicted earlier in my projected roster, I don’t see an undrafted free agent from this year’s class making the roster, other than punter Justin Vogel. That’s rare for the Packers under Ted Thompson.
I thought quarterback Taysom Hill was the closest. Cornerback Lenzy Pipkins was the guy who actually stuck.
The Packers’ roster currently stands at 53.
The Malachi Dupre cut is the one that ruined my perfect roster projection. He was a seventh-round draft pick this season.
The DeAngelo Yancey cut is the first surprise. The Packers have plenty of receivers, but Yancey looked like the real deal. Plus, he was a fifth-round draft pick this year.
And with both Dupre and Yancey gone, we were starting to expect Max McCaffrey to stick. Nope.
The Packers will go with five receivers to open the season, it seems. And if you think about it logically, that makes sense. They’re going to run a lot of two tight end sets this year. Plus, Mike McCarthy never plays anyone other than his top three receivers anyway. So what’s the point?
Factoring into the equation is surely that Geronimo Allison is suspended for week 1 because he can’t hide his weed. He won’t count against the roster number until he returns.
I would expect both Yancey and Dupre, along with Hill, to be back on the practice squad if no one claims them. Michael Clark, Brian Price and Donatello Brown should be there as well.
And shouldn’t Max McCaffrey end up in Denver anyway?
- Safety Jermaine Whitehead
- Linebacker Jordan Tripp
- Offensive lineman Kofi Amichia
- Outside linebacker Reggie Gilbert
- Defensive tackle Brian Price
- Cornerback Donatello Brown
- Receiver Michael Clark
- Receiver Max McCaffrey
- Receiver DeAngelo Yancey
- Receiver Montay Crockett
- Offensive lineman Adam Pankey
- Linebacker Derrick Matthews
- Receiver Malachi Dupre
- Quarterback Taysom Hill
- Quarterback Joe Callahan
- Guard Geoff Gray
- Linebacker Cody Heiman
- Defensive lineman Izaah Lunsford
- Tight end Emanual Byrd
- Cornerback Raysean Pringle
- Offensive lineman Thomas Evans
- Safety Aaron Taylor
- Outside linebacker Johnathan Calvin
- Tight end Aaron Peck
- Defensive lineman Calvin Heurtelou
- Tackle Robert Leff
- Cornerback Daquan Holmes
- Running back Kalif Phillips
- Long snapper Derek Hart
- Running back William Stanback
- Receiver Colby Pearson
The last three guys on the list were released earlier in the week.
- Offensive lineman Don Barclay (IR)
- Linebacker Vince Biegel (PUP)
- Cornerback Demetri Goodson (PUP)
- Fullback Joe Kerridge (IR)
- Linebacker David Talley (IR)
- Receiver Geronimo Allison