If you need somebody to go do some rails and bang some hookers with in Green Bay tonight, you might want to try to get a hold of Colt Lyerla.
The Green Bay Packers have the former Oregon tight end in town for a tryout. This guy has a list of misdeeds almost as long as mine and that’s damn impressive.
Lyerla supposedly had third-round talent, but went undrafted. Here’s why.
- Missed the first week of camp in 2012 for undisclosed reasons
- In March of last year he tweeted a video claiming the Sandy Hook shootings were a conspiracy and called the parents liars
- Didn’t play against Tennessee that season because of undisclosed circumstances
- Suspended for the Colorado game in 2013 for violation of team rules
- Left the team for personal reasons in early October of 2013
- Driver’s license suspended in mid October
- Arrested for cocaine possession in late October and plead guilty
So, this dude has, uh…. some problems.
From the sound of it, his parents are real pieces of work. His mother is/was on disability and couldn’t provide much of anything. His father booked when he was a sophomore in high school and didn’t come back.
If you erase all of that, there’s a lot to like about the guy.
He’s 6-4, 242 and ran a 4.61 40. Lyerla is noted for being athletic and having soft hands.
He’ll need to get stronger though if he’s going to play in the NFL. He only had 15 reps in the bench press at the combine.
Now, all of that being said, we love second-chance stories and the Packers have been known to hand those out in the past. See: Koren Robinson and Johnny Jolly.
So of course we’re going to be pulling for this guy.