Green Bay Packers Have Plenty of Options if James Jones Leaves
Although he’s made it clear he’d like to return to the Green Bay Packers, James Jones looks like he’ll be testing the open market once free agency rolls around.
That looks like the wise play for the Packers. It’s not that they couldn’t use Jones. It’s that there are currently 53 receivers scheduled to be free agents (not counting guys like Nate Burleson, who was released in a cost-cutting move).
It’s going to be a buyer’s market.
So even if Jones hits free agency, there’s still a decent chance the Packers will be able to re-sign him. And you know they’d only do that at the right price, especially considering both Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb are due for contract extensions.
However, if Jones does sign elsewhere, there are plenty of decent options in free agency to replace him. Our expectation is the Packers would draft a receiver to develop if Jones leaves, but considering the market, they may be able to replace the production immediately for a reasonable amount.
Here’s a look at those potential replacements.
- Report: Packers Interested in Tight End Garrett Graham
- Green Bay Packers’ Options for Replacing Sam Shields
- Note to Green Bay Packers: Here Are the Top Free Agent Safeties
- Here Are the Green Bay Packers 2014 Free Agents
- Jim Leonard wants to Play for the Green Bay Packers