Who The Hell Is Manny Lawson?
The Green Bay Packers are — get this — interested in another free agent. After bringing in center Jeff Saturday earlier this week, a report emerged Tuesday the Packers have engaged in discussions with free agent linebacker Manny Lawson.
Lawson played last season with the Cincinnati Bengals after spending his first five seasons with San Francisco. He had 52 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2011, which aren’t exactly mind-blowing numbers. That being said, word is he’s solid against the run and a great cover linebacker. Those are two things the Packers didn’t have much of at linebacker last season.
Lawson plays on the outside, where the Packers are looking for an upgrade over the terrific trio known as Erik Walden, Frank Zombo and Brad Jones. Walden is a free agent and it’s looking less and less likely that the team will re-sign him.
Lawson made $3 million last season with the Bengals, so he’d be an affordable option for the Packers. Although they’ve had discussions with the linebacker, they haven’t scheduled a visit yet.
- Packers Interested in Chris Canty Again
- Michael Huff Set to Visit Packers, Reject Insulting Offer
- Packers Will Not Be Signing Michael Huff, To the Surprise of No One
- Packers Bring In Chris Canty, Predictably Do Nothing
- Packers Signee Andy Mulumba Was Second Pick in CFL Draft