The Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs 20-19 on Thursday night in both teams’ final preseason game.
Here are my initial reactions.
- Undrafted rookie linebacker Vic So’oto earned his roster spot with 1.5 sacks, an interception that he returned for a touchdown, and a forced fumble. With improved coverage skills, he could become a starting outside linebacker.
- Defensive lineman [intlink id=”1337″ type=”category”]Howard Green[/intlink] was impressive in beating a double team to sack quarterback Matt Cassell.
- Rookie [intlink id=”1626″ type=”category”]D.J. Smith[/intlink] and veteran Robert Francois are going to be solid backups at inside linebackers.
- The Packers may really carry five tight ends. [intlink id=”1236″ type=”category”]Tom Crabtree[/intlink] earned his roster spot with two catches for 13 yards and a touchdown. Rookie [intlink id=”1624″ type=”category”]D.J. Williams[/intlink] had two catches for 12 yards.
- Cornerback [intlink id=”157″ type=”category”]Pat Lee[/intlink] may have saved himself, leading the team with nine tackles, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
- Wide receiver Tori Gurley impressed with two catches for 12 yards. If the Packers keep a sixth receiver, it’s a tough choice between Chastin West and Gurley.
- [intlink id=”25″ type=”category”]Aaron Rodgers[/intlink] looked great leading a scoring drive and completing 3-of-4 passes and throwing a touchdown in his only series. Unfortunately, the Packers backup quarterbacks, [intlink id=”84″ type=”category”]Matt Flynn[/intlink] and [intlink id=”1102″ type=”category”]Graham Harrell[/intlink], were embarrassingly awful. They combined for three fumbles and an interception.
- Most of the starters only played one series.
- It was a typical preseason game. The Packers won 20-19 to go 3-1 in the preseason.